Monday, October 30, 2006



























Did you know in 2002 the ruler of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) forgave all loans for his citizens? That’s right – car loans, mortgages, credit card debit. It was all paid off.

Its just part of my new found knowledge after a tour to Al Ain with Arabian Adventures. It’s the best “value for your money” trip so far because our tour guide was a walking encyclopedia of Middle Eastern knowledge.

Al Ain is a one-hour bus ride from Dubai nestled in the Abu Dhabi Emirates. The name reminded me of Aladdin so I rubbed every lamp I saw. If I had three wishes…

Abu Dhabi is the richest emirate in the UAE because oil was discovered earlier and there’s a lot more of it. Our tour guide said Dubai has about 10 years left in oil supply while Abu Dhabi has over 100.

Al Ain is the second largest city in Abu Dhabi and lies on the border of Oman. It’s also called the “Garden City” because it is an oasis in the desert with natural springs and an intricate irrigation system.

First stop- the camel market. Apparently they bite so I gave the camels their personal space. No need to get feisty. Meanwhile the buyers and sellers tried to “take pictures” for us but getting your camera back meant a 10 dirham bribe. The camels are often referred to as the “ships of the desert.” Owning a camel is better than driving around in that sexy sports car.

The trip involved numerous stops complete with antidotes from our tour guide. We drove to the top of Jebel Hafeet, the largest mountain in the UAE at 1600 metres. Lunch was served at a hotel on the peak of the mountain.

Believe it or not. At the base of the mountain we discovered hot springs at Green Mubazzarah, a green landscaped park. It looked more like a golf course thanks to irrigation. I love hot springs but on a sweltering day give me a glacier fed lake.

Despite the sweat and the simmering sunburn, I hopped in the bubbling water. I’m not going to sugar coat it – the water was super hot. My dad and I jumped around and turned our toes bright red. How long can you handle the hot water? Hard-boiled or not, it was a sweet day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jill Marie Bronson said...

its been great following your blog because i have never seen pictures from that side of the world or knew much about the culture. its amazing how many beautiful places there are.

8:58 AM  
Blogger David Wiebe said...

I demand more entries Thompsonitus!! hehehe, I know you're back now, but you'd better keep this think going....OR ELSE! (knuckle sandwich time....yeah....)

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home