Monday, October 23, 2006





The earliest Dubai settlement was near the mouth of the creek, which was eventually dredged to create a larger body of water. Then a city sprang up and the world started coming to Dubai. An oasis in the desert.

I think most towns spring up around rivers and creeks – serving as a life source for the pioneers. I decided to walk the creek and it didn’t take long to become totally soaked with sweat. It’s hot here. When you can’t drink in public, you become obsessive about water. I watched the Muslim construction workers and wondered how they work all day without eating or drinking during Ramadan.

My stroll along the creek reminded me that I was actually in another country. I couldn’t see any signs for Starbucks or McDonalds. Instead, the creek is lined with souks (markets). You can cross from one side of the creek to the other in a traditional water taxi (“abra”).

I wasn’t sure what the price of a boat ride was but wandered onboard and hoped for the best. The ride lasts about five minutes and 500 snapshots on the digital camera. Turns out the ride was only about 10 cents.

The bridges across the creek are super congested so it’s estimated that 15,000 people use water taxis everyday. Join the masses!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home